Wednesday, June 25, 2014

What's Up Wednesday?! In Which We Saw Iron Man at the Beach

What's Up Wednesday is a weekly blog hop created by Jamie Morrow and Erin Funk as a way for writers to keep in touch by sharing what they've been up to. Be sure to link up on their site if you want to join in on the fun. 



What I'm Reading

Still making my way through I'LL GIVE YOU THE SUN. I'm almost done with it and want to know what happens but don't want to finish it at the same time. It's just so good.

What I'm Writing

You can see what I'm writing on my Ready? Set. Write! post this week here. But, here's a hint, I finished my WIP WHEN THE WIND BLOWS.


What Inspires Me Right Now


Jaime and Erin had an awesome idea about using this section to say what inspires us and what we love about YA. I thought it was a great idea so I'm getting on board.

 That it's different and diverse and doesn't always end well or in a neat little package wrapped up with a pretty red bow. It just is. It's life. And it's relate-able, no matter your age.

What Else I've Been Up To

Finally made it to the beach! We got a late start and only stayed about an hour because it was getting HOT. And the crowds were starting to show. Next time we'll go earlier, like 8 am.


Kiddo had a blast with his new boogie board and building under tunnels.



We saw something that I thought was pretty awesome (apparently other people have seen it before...but...I haven't so I was amazed. I give you IRON MAN at the beach.

Sunday kiddo and I hung around the house. Did some cleaning and lounging. Then we spent the evening watching the US play in the World Cup. What a heart breaker of a game. Right at the last minute. Ready to cheer them on Thursday!

So what have you been up to?


13 comments:

Rachel said...

Oh my gosh THAT IS SO COOL!!!!!!

Congratulations on finishing your WIP Mindie and good luck with the upcoming revisions!!

laboyden said...

That beach looks like fun. I miss the beach. Congrats on finishing you WIP. :D Thanks for sharing.

Jaime Morrow said...

I love what you shared in your What Inspires Me (about YA) section. So, so true! A great rebuttal of that awful Slate article, though I hate to even bring it up. It immediately calls to mind TFIOS, which is still fresh in my brain after seeing it this weekend. There sure as heck isn't a neatly tied bow at the end of that story. Like you say: It's life. Love the pictures you shared of you and your kiddo at the beach. So gorgeous! It's gross and grey and rainy here all week, so that's sort of awesome too. Haha...not. Have a wonderful week, Mandie! :D

Katy Upperman said...

I'm so excited that you finished your WiP! Best of luck with your revisions when you begin. And for the record, I've never seen Iron Man at the beach either. How crazy!

Miss Cole said...

Congratulations on finishing your WiP! :D

Dude, he really does look like Iron Man... Awesome! :D And that beach looks amaaaaaazing. Wow.

Melanie Stanford said...

Ah, the beach! I can't wait to go! School's out tomorrow so... soon! My kids would've loved that Iron Man at the beach!

Mandie Baxter said...

Isn't it?! I couldn't stop watching.
Thanks!!

Mandie Baxter said...

It is. I've missed it too.
Thank you!

Mandie Baxter said...

I wondered what kind of YA books the author of that article read bc there are so many that don't end perfectly.
I'll try to send you some sunshine!!!
Thanks. :)

Mandie Baxter said...

Apparently this whole jet pack on the feet is a thing but I've never heard of it. I was pretty impressed.
And thanks! Ah...revisions.

Mandie Baxter said...

Oh wow...crazy how places are different. Kids have been out of school for 2 1/2 weeks here. Enjoy when you get to go!
It was pretty awesome

Mandie Baxter said...

Thank you!
Right? He did some awesome tricks.
It is pretty. Love living on the emerald coast.

Anonymous said...

The bit about what inspires you in YA, that just made me think of all the books I really like, regardles of genre. If a story can't deal with both creation and loss, if it can't allow itself to be a bit messy, what's the point?
Did you say you finished your WiP? As in, first draft, or finished writing and editing? Either way, massive congratulations!

Post a Comment