Monday, June 23, 2014

Ready? Set. Write! 2014 Week 2


Ready? Set. Write! is a way for writers to keep in touch with each other and keep themselves accountable to the goals they set. This year it's hosted by Katy Upperman, Alison Miller, Jamie Morrow and Erin Funk. Check out their blogs for more details and be sure to link up each week.

1). How I did on last weeks goals?

I kept up with my 1K a day. Until Friday. And then I wrote I don't know how many words but FINISHED MY WIP! The first draft of WHEN THE WIND BLOWS is complete. I forgot how good it feels to type The End.

As for my other goals, I finished one book and am half way through two more. Need to step that up. I also made it to the beach Saturday, so there's a start on going to the beach more often. Query letter...haven't started that. Soon.

2). My goals for this week

Next up is revisions. My CP and a friend are reading over for general flow/plot ok. I'm also going to do a book map of where my book is now so I can make notes of where I want it to go.

3). A favorite line from my story OR one word/phrase that sums up what I wrote/revised

The End.

4). The biggest challenge I faced this week

Reading. I couldn't focus on the books I was reading because I was so close to finishing my own.

5). Something I love about my WIP

Chapter Twenty-Two. I love the tone and the flow and it's how I want to mold the rest of the novel.

18 comments:

Katy Upperman said...

Yay for THE END! Congrats on finishing your draft, lady... Such an amazing feeling, I'm sure! I hope you'll reward yourself with lots of reading time. Best of luck with revisions once you get going!

Jaime Morrow said...

That is so awesome, Mandie! Congrats! Honestly, I think getting that initial story down on the page is the hardest part. Revisions, while tough, are kind of a rush because you can see this thing just getting better and better. Good luck this week! :D

Melanie Stanford said...

Congrats on finishing the WIP! It's so exciting and satisfying to type the words "THE END." Way to go!

Andrea Brame said...

Oh, how exciting to get to the end! And yay for beach time ... I could seriously use some beach time, myself.

Stephsco said...

Hooorraayyy for finishing!

karyne norton said...

Yay! That's so great! I'm curious about your book map. Is it like a storyboard?

Alison Miller said...

YAY for THE END!!! Go YOU! Enjoy this week! You've earned it!

Erin L. Funk said...

Great job on finishing your ms! That deserves a huge pat on the back! I love that you put "The End" for a phrase that sums up what you wrote, because that pretty much says it all right there. Wishing you lots of luck as you dive into revisions!

Mandie Baxter said...

Thanks Katy! I think finishing fried my brain bc I can't concentrate on a book. :-/ Hope to snap out soon.

Mandie Baxter said...

I usually dread revisions but you're so right. I already have some ideas. Thanks so much!!

Mandie Baxter said...

It is. Thank you!!

Mandie Baxter said...

Thank you! And if you can, do it! It's worth the hassle.

Mandie Baxter said...

Thank you! :)

Mandie Baxter said...

Possibly. It's a chart on the computer. I type my book in scene by scene and then have check marks for which characters are there, the scene, plot and sub plot. To see if the mix is good and what needs to go/be moved.

Mandie Baxter said...

Thank you!!!$ :)

Mandie Baxter said...

Thanks so much Erin. And I really couldn't comprehend what I did at the end at the time I wrote this so I went with the easiest. :)

Crystal said...

So much congrats on reaching THE END!! :)

Anonymous said...

Love those words too (The End). Happy for you that you know what you're heading towards in the next draft. Good luck with it.

Post a Comment