Monday, June 30, 2014

Ready? Set. Write! 2014 Week 3


Ready? Set. Write! is a way for writers to keep in touch with each other and keep themselves accountable to the goals they set. This year it's hosted by Katy Upperman, Alison Miller, Jamie Morrow and Erin Funk. Check out their blogs for more details and be sure to link up each week.

1). How I did on last weeks goals?

I'm half way through notes on When The Wind Blows from my main critique partner (Jessica) and half way done making my book map for it. Once those are done I'll see what I need to add and where. I've already planned two chapters that need to be added in. Query is sitll a no go because I hate them.

I also finished reading two books AND took kiddo to the beach today.

2). My goals for this week

Finish Jessica's notes, finish book map, send MS to other CP (Joy) to get her initial thoughts/reactions. Start new project (What If I Was Nothing) for Camp Nano on Tuesday. I've set a goal of 500 words a day for that. Think about a query letter. Or maybe actually doing one.

3). A favorite line from my story OR one word/phrase that sums up what I wrote/revised

"You're pretty amazing when you don't try to be perfect." Kind of forgot I wrote that until Jessica pointed it out as a favorite line of hers.

4). The biggest challenge I faced this week

No motivation in the beginning of the week and lack of time when the weekend came around. Don't need that to happen again.

5). Something I love about my WIP

 All of the ideas that are jumping out at me today to add in as I sat on the beach or read over the notes from Jessica.

15 comments:

Alison Miller said...

Love, love, love when the ideas jump out like that! Sounds like you are in a great place with your story and what awesome goals for the week. Also, LOVE that line from your story! Good luck this week!

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you had a very productive week even though you didn't have any motivation at the beginning. That's really admirable. Love that line too. It's perfect. Good luck this week. Sounds like you're already motivated ;)

Melanie Crouse said...

Wow! You've set some lofty goals. I'm very impressed, and I'll be waiting to see how it goes. I wish I was in a Camp Nano spot in my life, and I wish you luck!

Unknown said...

Wow you have a lot going on at once! Good luck with your query letter and your new idea and all the things! Have a great week :)

Katy Upperman said...

Glad you're feeling inspired, and best of luck finishing your story map! Ugh. The query... but, you can do it!

ELAdams said...

I love it when notes from CP's inspire new ideas! I know how you feel about queries, too...not a fan of writing them! Good luck this week!

Jaime Morrow said...

I can completely relate to your biggest challenge this week. I kind of ran into the same problem myself. Hopefully, this week will be better! I like your Camp NaNo goal of writing 500 words a day. That's nice and attainable, I think. And I hear you on hating query letters. Ugh. Me too. Love the line you shared! :-)

Jessica Leake said...

Well, obviously I love that line!! I don't blame you on the query letter thing--it's the bane of a writer's existence. Can't wait to read more of your WIPs!!

Ghenet Myrthil said...

Query letters are tough, but you can do it! Good luck with all of your goals this week, and the start to Camp NaNo! I did it in April and it was such a productive month. :)

Tonja Drecker said...

Sounds like you're having a good time with mapping out the story. Great that your CP is working with you on it! Query letters are never fun. I usually write dozens of versions (some really funny and out there) before getting the real one done - psychological game I play, I guess ;)

Sara {Rhapsody and Chaos} said...

Yay for the ideas jumping out at you -- I bet motivation will come much more easily this week :)

Rachel said...

Query letters are a PiTA but must be done I guess :P Good luck with that. And YAY for ideas jumping out at you. It's the best feeling, isn't it??? :)

karyne norton said...

I don't blame you on the query letter! I've been revising mine all week and I feel like puking on it. :P Hope you feel inspired to work on it soon!

Erin L. Funk said...

It sounds like you're good and ready to tackle revisions soon! Glad to hear your CP's feedback is triggering lots of new ideas and that you've got plans for two new chapters to add in. Hearing what CP/beta's favourite lines are is always encouraging, especially when it isn't a line you even remember writing. You never know what will resonate with readers! That's a great line btw! Best of luck with your goals for WHEN THE WIND BLOWS and your new Camp NaNo project!

Mandie Baxter said...

Thanks so much everyone. Sorry not individual responses. Day got away form me.

Post a Comment