Friday, January 20, 2012

TGIF {19}

TGIF is a fun post created by Ginger at GReads.  It’s to recap what you’ve posted about through the week and Ginger asks a fun book related question.




Friday, Jan. 20th - Recommend It: Which book from the last 10 you've read would you recommend to a friend?


Hard question, at least for me. I'm looking at my list (and also thinking about other books I've read just before) and it's hard to not want to recommend them all. I tend to read books other people recommended or have enjoyed that I have similar book taste with. It's rare for me to just see a book and pick it up (mainly because my to-be-read pile is so incredibly long).


Here's a list of the last ten books I've read:


1. A Million Suns by Beth Revis
2. Ten Things We Did (and Probably Shouldn't Have) by Sarah Mlynowski
3. Looking for Alaska by John Green 
4. ANEW: The Archers of Avalon, #1 by Chelsea Fine
5. Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen
6. Dream Smashers by Angela Carlie
7. Crossed by Ally Condie
8. Matched by Ally Condie
9. With or Without You by Brian Farrey 
10. Sophie & Carter by Chelsea Fine

The one I'd recommend to EVERYONE would be A Millions Suns. Seriously. This book rocked! If you have not read Across the Universe, go do it so you can read A Million Suns. I don't know if I've ever read a sequel that was as good as this one! 


If you love contemporary then you'll love my list! My favorite from these ten is Sophie & Carter! It was short, sweet, and tugged on my heart like no other book (Chelsea . Looking for Alaska was both funny and tragic, Ten Things was a wild ride, and With or Without You opens your eyes to possibilities and new ideas.


The two books I'm iffy on are Water for Elephants and Dream Smashers. First, Water for Elephants is not for the tenderhearted animal lover. If you want to try, just skip over the bad animal scenes as best as you can. Other than that, great book. Dream Smashers was good, but I found the different POV shifts choppy. They didn't swap every other chapter, and just between two characters, but whenever the author seemed to need to tell something a different way. I found those chapters jarring. If you can overlook that then it's really a wonderful story.


Currently reading: Where Things Come Back by John Corey Whaley and loving!


What books have you read and recommend?

6 comments:

Tanya Patrice said...

Ooh I want to read A Million Suns - definitely on my list of books to read soon.

Katelyn said...

I love your list so much! First, I am insanely jealous of A Million Suns! I loved Across the Universe so much so I cannot wait to finally read the sequel! And the fact that Sophie and Carter is on your list just makes me so happy! That book deserves all the praise in the world <3

Melanie McCullough said...

Awesome list! I have to finish Across the Universe so I can start A Million Suns. Right now I'm recommending Cinder & Under the Never Sky to everyone. I loved these books!

starryeyedjen said...

Currently reading A Million Suns...so good! Great recs!

Jen said...

Great list! Other people are recommending a Million Suns ..... I need to get that one and read it. :)

Alexa S. said...

I just won a contest where the prize was a copy of Across the Universe and A Million Suns. I cannot wait to finally get started on this series!

Post a Comment