Wednesday, January 16, 2013

I'm BaAAAaaackkkkkk and What's In A Name?

So...it's been a while. Like..a really long while. I've had a few posts here and there over the past year but nothing about writing or what I've been up to or anything like that. And I don't like that. I'm going to try my best to blog more often. At least once a week. Today (tonight?) I want to talk about names.

"What's in a name? That which we call a rose by any other word would smell as sweet. So Romeo would, were he not Romeo called, retain that dear perfection which he owes without that title."

To authors, names, or book titles, are a big deal. They have to be JUST right. But, what makes them right? It would be so easy if there was a rhyme or reason to things like this, but there isn't. It's all about imagination and luck. Coming up with the perfect name and then hoping that no one else is using right then or that it's not over used.

With Dream Maker (my YA spec fic) I went through a slew of names for my MCs (not to mention two previous titles...Dream Weaver and one of which I can't even remember right now...though I had it the other day). My female MC went from Madison to Meagan to Frankie to finally Avery. The male MC was originally named Lee but quickly became Mason and has been ever since. There is no changing his name, it suits him.

I have a few other book ideas jotted down and non have proper titles. The working titles are things like "High School Novel" (because it's an idea I got when I was in HS), "Another World" (about other planets), "Fairies Do Exist", and "How to Stop an Exploding Girl" (that's my two CPs favorite title). I suck at book titles.

Until it came time for my current WIP--"One More Summer". Last year No Doubt released a new album (FINALLY!!!!!!!!) called Settle Down. On it is a track titled One More Summer (gorgeous song...check the bottom of the post to hear it). I listened to it and this tiny idea I had in my head burst into something so much bigger. I had a clear view of a female MC and a love interest right away. All they needed were names. It didn't take long before I came up with Tyler (for the boy). It was a bit longer trying to find the right girls name. In the end I picked Devyn (can you tell I like boy names for girls?). And I'm not sure I'd be willing to change them (okay...push and book deal come to shove I may...but you get the idea).

So how do you brain storm for character names? Are they first and personalities later? Or are book titles easier (if so, we need to talk)?

One More Summer - No Doubt

And the acoustic version because I can't help it. It's un-freaking-believable!!!


4 comments:

Jessica Leake said...

Yay! Maybe we can force each other to blog every week! ;)

You know I suck at titles! SL just magically came to me. All my other MSs caused a lot of angst & anxiety. Character names are easier--especially for a historical! I just look up popular names during that time period. Sometimes I Google the type of name I'm going die--"Southern names" "ancient names" etc. That's always helped me!

Also, LOVE No Doubt (and this song)!!

Jessica Leake said...

*for not die. Haha, curse you Autocorrect!! *shakes fist*

Ginger @ GReads! said...

I really suck at coming up with book titles. I'm always envious of authors who know just the right title to grab a reader, yet totally encompasses the story too. As for character names, I usually go with whatever comes to mind first. I tend to like traditional names versus trendy names.

Katelyn said...

Mandie's back, YAYYYYY!!!! Even though I get to talk to you often on twitter, I have still missed your blogging presence like crazy. Anyways, I give you major props because not only do I love the title One More Summer but the names you have chosen for the two many characters are awesome. I cannot wait to meet these two characters ;)
As for me picking out titles and names, it is next to impossible. The week before I got Lola I googled "cat names" and "cute/quirky baby names" AT LEAST 10 times only to pick out a name that was on neither of those lists. So if in the future you need to name a kitten in one of your books, I've got you covered ;)
p.s. the No Doubt song is beautiful & awesome!

Post a Comment